We’re here to help you stretch your dollar as far as humanly possible by using student discounts at every possible opportunity. These discounts only last for a few short college years so you’re going to want to make the most of them!
We’ve listed out the best student discounts available in the United States, for undergrads and graduate students, along with how to get your hands on them. Almost all of these discounts can be found via services like Student Beans and UNiDAYS.
- How do I get a student discount?
- Can I use my student discount on already discounted items?
- Where can I get a student discount?
- How to get student discounts on travel
- What freebies can you get as a student?
- Can graduates get discounts?
- Can interns get discounts?
- How to get student discounts on Black Friday
How do I get a student discount?
Proof that you’re a student is usually enough to get your discount. Most places will accept this in the form of a student ID, but some discounts will require another layer of verification.
The biggest discount platforms and their requirements
- Student Beans is a free app and website that provides you with thousands of student discounts, along with blog posts about all things college-related. Some of the brands Student Beans partners with are Gymshark, American Eagle, The Body Shop, Chewy, Razer, Bose, WHOOP, DoorDash, AT&T, and more. Anyone over the age of 16 and a full-time student can use Student Beans.
- UNiDAYS is also a free app and website that features a huge variety of discounts available for students.
- Shop iD is a website that offers discounts to both undergraduate and graduate students. You have to apply in order to verify your ID and take advantage of their student discounts.
- BrokeScholar compiles lists of monthly discounts on their website available to students along with various other resources for college students.
Can I use my student discount on already discounted items?
It depends on the retailer. Some companies are fine with you stacking your student discount on top of sale items, but be sure to check before you buy. More often than not, you can only use your discount on full-price items.
Where can I get a student discount?
Below, we’ve listed some of the top places where you can get a student discount:
Stores and retailers offering student discounts:
- Amazon: The Amazon Prime Student membership will give you that sweet Prime free two-day shipping for six months, unlimited streaming on Prime Video, and more. If you decide to keep your membership after the six months, you’ll also get it for 50% off.
- Apple: Get a free gift card when you purchase a Mac or iPad
- ASOS: 10% off all year long
- Champs: 20% off purchases of $99 or more
- Converse: 15% student discount
- Crocs: 25% student discount online
- e.l.f. Cosmetics: 20% student discount
- Foot Locker: 20% off purchases of $99 or more
- Gymshark: Save 10% on all purchases
- H&M: 10% student discount
- HP: Get up to 45% off your purchases
- The Marc Jacobs: 10% student discount
- MUJI: Get 10% off with your student discount
- Myprotein: 40% student discount
- Nike: Save 10% on all purchases
- Paula’s Choice: 10% student discount
- Razer: Get 20% off on all computer peripherals, 10% off on gaming laptops and chairs, and up to $500 off on Razer Blade laptops
- Reebok: 40% student discount online
- Sam’s Club: Get up to $500 off in Instant Savings
- Samsung: Save up to 20% off
Restaurants and meal deliveries offering student discounts:
- Chowbus: Get $15 off your purchases of $30 or more
- Daily Harvest: Save $30 on your first box
- DoorDash: Get 25% off your first order and get the DashPass Student Plan for just $4.99
- Gopuff: Save 25% on your first order or $10 off your first two orders
- Home Chef: Get $116 off your subscription
- Illy: 25% student discount
- KIND: 15% student discount
- Thrive Market: Snag a free membership and up to 50% off groceries with your student discount
Entertainment and event student discounts:
- Disney+: Save 15% off a 12-month membership
- Hulu: Get 75% off with your student discount
- Paramount Plus: 25% student discount
- Universal Studios: Buy a day pass and get a second day free
- YouTube: Get YouTube Premium and unlimited streaming for $6.99 per month
Plenty of sporting events and live entertainment venues also offer student discounts. Just be sure to show your ID in order to get the discount.
How to get student discounts on travel
Traveling isn’t cheap, but we’re here to help you save money. If you’re looking to be a bit more savvy when you plan your next vacation, make sure you take advantage of those student discounts.
- Amtrak: 15% student discount
- Booking.com: Save 15% or more with Getaway Deals along with a 4% student discount
- Delta Airlines: Get up to $250 per flight and hotel booking
- FlixBus: 15% student discount
- Priceline: Up to 60% off hotel bookings
Best freebies you get as a student in 2023
- Amazon Prime: Your Amazon Prime Student membership gets you Prime free two-day shipping for six months and unlimited streaming on Prime Video. Keep your membership after the six months, and you’ll also get it for 50% off.
- Costco: Get a free $30 digital gift card when you join as a new member
- McDonald’s: Free large fries when you download the McDonald’s app
- Microsoft Office: Student get access to Microsoft Office 365 for free
- Spotify Premium: Get one month free of Spotify Premium Student, and then save 50% off on Spotify Premium for Students
Can graduates get discounts?
Yes! Student Beans recently launched their graduate discounts, known as Grad Beans, for students who have graduated within the last five years. Like Student Beans, Grad Beans is also free.
Brands that offer graduate discounts:
- American Airlines offers 35% off your car rental when you book through Avis or Budget
- 10% off tech through Dell
- Garmin gives graduates 20% off wearable tech
- Grads get 10% off at Nike
- Ninja offers graduates 15% off kitchen appliances
Remember, when it comes to student discounts, be sure to check on more expensive items like travel and tech. A 10% discount at somewhere like Apple or Microsoft could save you a lot of money on big-ticket items like laptops or software for college.
Can interns get discounts?
Unfortunately, interns are not eligible for student discounts. Unless you’re graduated within five years and can therefore use Grad Beans, your student discounts end upon graduation.
However, certain companies (like Apple and Microsoft) offer its interns exclusive discounts for working there. Similar to an employee discount, you may be eligible for a discount at the company you’re interning at. Just be sure to check with them directly before making any big purchases.
How to get student discounts on Black Friday
When is Black Friday 2022?
Black Friday falls on Friday, November 25, 2022. Black Friday sales can take place anytime in November (since some retailers release their sale prices early), slashing prices in order to get ready for the impending holiday shopping rush.
2022 Black Friday tips
First, avoid trying to find the best deal day-of. Plenty of shops and brands will list out their sales on their social media pages or email newsletters. You’ll get an idea of what the upcoming sale is going to look like, allowing yourself to relax a bit more on Black Friday.
Similarly, if you’re already planning on buying something through a brand’s website, make sure you already have your account set up. You don’t want to lose out on your purchase because you had to take the time to register.