Want curls without the heat? Try this dressing gown hair curls hack.
Sick of spending hours styling your hair for it to just go flat after an hour or feel dry and brittle from heat? Yeah, us too. But we might have found an answer to our problems…
Heatless dressing gown curls — go to sleep and wake up with gorgeous curls and waves without the hassle.
Bouncy locks with minimal effort, no wonder the trend is all over TikTok. Luckily, dressing gown curls are super easy to achieve, you’ll be trying it in no time.
Caught your attention? Read on to find out just how easy dressing gown curls are…
Dressing gown curls
So, what are dressing gown curls?
They’re exactly what they sound like — curling your hair with your dressing gown and zero heat. A dream. This creates effortless waves and curls that will have hairdressers green with envy.
Dressing gown curls can be done wet or dry. We just recommend spraying some leave-in conditioner if it’s dry to help it out a little. Overall, it’s a heatless style that won’t damage your hair and simply leaves it looking bouncy and full of volume. It’s especially great for those who like to sleep with their hair damp and want to wake up and go!
Dressing gown curls on TikTok
There are a ton of dressing gown curls on TikTok you can watch but they all replicate the same method. Here’s our favourite by @toni.florentina:
See how simple it is? Just grab the dressing gown tie/rope and twist/braid your hair around it (wet or dry). Then go to bed or do the house work for a few hours with your hair tied. Voila! You’ll have heatless dressing gown curls.
This is ideal for hair that doesn’t keep the curl or if your hair is already damaged from heat or colouring.
If you don’t have a dressing gown, many brands and shops sell a curling set like this one below, which works in a similar way.
Kitsch Satin Heatless Curling Set — Look Fantastic, £15
We love this heatless dressing gown curls kit because the satin keeps hair smooth and frizz-free while retaining moisture in the hair to give you soft, bouncy, tangle-free curls.
Dressing gown curls step-by-step
- Start with damp hair, as you want your hair to set in place around the dressing gown tie. You can use a leave-in conditioner spray after dampening your hair a little or go straight in with it with dry hair (recommended if your hair is on the frizzier side).
We recommend the JVN Complete Leave-in Conditioning mist from Cult Beauty. Use Student Beans’ Cult Beauty Student Discount for 20% off.
- Split your hair down the middle (or wherever you part your hair), split it into two sections, lay the robe tie down on top of your head and clip it in place
- Take the first section of hair and twist it around your dressing gown belt, from top to bottom, and then secure, grabbing the next small section of hair each time you wrap it around the robe belt. Once done, secure, and repeat on the other side
- Catch up on your beauty sleep, while your dressing gown curls form. You could speed up the process by using a hairdryer, but we recommend for a heatless style to just sleep with it in
- In the morning, unravel your curls and shake them out! Lock in the curls with some hair oil and hair spray to make your curls look bouncy, shiny and keep them in place.
If the curls are winding down a little, check out our recommended Dyson AirWrap alternatives and where to find them.