10 amazing drinking board games
Boredom (and sobriety) will be a thing of the past thanks to these 10 great twists on family classics...
When you were packing for uni and your parents told you to throw in a board game or two you probably laughed, you may have even slapped them around a little - you're too old for board games, right?!
Not board games like this!
We've been digging around the internet for slightly more grown-up versions of some of the nation's favourite games - and where we fell short we decided to fill in the gaps with one or two of our own inventions. So for the record we're only partly responsible for your hangover.
For more tips on the most popular drinking games in studentville check out the ultimate guide to drinking games.
Remember - while these games are a lot of fun, make sure you don't over do it. For more information click here.
Monopoly is arguably the most timeless of all the board games - but as Batman Begins and Ocean's Eleven have proven, there's nothing wrong with updating a classic!
- Roll a double - one shot of beer.
- Go to jail - one shot of the spirit of your choice (and a further shot for every turn spent in jail).
- Free parking - all other players drink a shot of the spirit of their choice.
- Land on someone's property - one shot of beer.
- Roll the dice out of turn - finish your drink.
2. Extreme chess
You'll need as many shot glasses (or similar) as there are pieces in a chess game to play this vomit-inducing twist on the oldest game on our list.
- Put a shot glass on each space where there should be a chess piece, then put the original pieces inside the shot glass - so you know what's what.
- Pour beer in all the pawn shot glasses, and the spirit of your choice in the remaining glasses.
- Play as normal, but when you take an opponents piece, they must drink the shot that was taken. The loser must finish off any shots that are left on the board at the end of the game.
3. Drinking Trivial PursuitGeneral knowledge is not our friend at the best of times...
No shots in this game - just a LOT of beer.
- Drink two fingers when it's your turn.
- Answer a green question correctly - the person to your left drinks two fingers.
- Answer a yellow question correctly - the person to your right drinks two fingers.
- Answer a brown question correctly - nominate four fingers to any player.
- Answer a pink question correctly - ladies drink two fingers.
- Answer a blue question correctly - gents drink two fingers.
- Answer a orange question correctly - everyone drinks two fingers.
4. Drink & Strip Twister
As if Twister wasn't already capable of embarrassing the crap out of us, why not give it a go while drunk and removing your clothes at the same time.
- Play as normal, but each time a player falls they must drink one shot, and remove one item of clothing.
- When you end the game is up to you...
5. Boozy Jenga
Possibly the hardest game to be good at once your coordination is a distant memory and you've got the vision of a mole who's been playing computer games its entire life.
- If you successfully remove a block and place it on top your opponent drinks one shot of beer.
- If you use both hands to remove a block (also known as cheating) then you must drink one shot of beer instead.
- The loser must finish their beer in one.
6. Thirsty Thirsty Hippos
Without doubt the loudest, most annoying and invariably violent game of our childhood - it's hard to see how throwing alcohol into the mix will help... but let's give it a go anyway!
Couldn't be simpler - Whoever has the most marbles at the end of the game dishes out this many fingers of beer as fines. For example if the winner gets ten marbles, they can ask one player to drink four fingers, and the other two to drink three each.
This doesn't necessarily have anything to do with bottles, but we couldn't think of a better pun. Basically it's battleships, with booze, but you probably worked that out.
- If you miss your opponents ships, drink one finger of beer.
- If you hit your opponents ships, they must drink two fingers of beer.
- When you sink an opponents ship they must do a shot of the spirit of their choice.
8. The Unofficial Cluedo Drinking Game
This game has been conceived by someone with too much time on their hands (not that we're complaining) - they even went to the trouble of setting up their own Facebook page for it! This game is best played with six players, although this isn't necessary.
- Everyone drinks one finger for good luck at the start of the game. After all, the murderer could be you...
- If someone makes an accusation, and you haven't got the card to help them out when it passes you, drink one finger.
- If your character is accused of the terrible deed, drink two fingers. The guilt and the shame is just too much.
- If the Reverend Green is accused, all players must do the sign of the cross and then drink two fingers.
- If Colonel Mustard is accused, all players must salute and then drink two fingers.
- If Mrs. White is accused, all players must say "in my day!" in their best old lady voice and then drink two fingers.
- If you accuse the revolver, point a gun with your fingers at someone else, and that person must drink two fingers.
- If you take a secret passageway at any point in the game to access another room, drink one finger for luck. After all, someone could catch you...
- When someone is about to make the final accusation, everyone must add to the shit mix. If that person is correct in their accusation, whichever character is guilty of the terrible deed must down the shit mix. If that person is incorrect in their accusation, the game continues until someone makes the correct final accusation.
- If the game finishes and you find yourself in the same room as the guilty party, down your drink, as you have just been killed too! Might aswell go out with a bang...
9. Drinking Scrabble
One of the most popular board games in the world, maybe, but try getting more than a three letter word once you've played a few rounds of our updated version.
- If you get a double letter score - nominate one opponent to drink one shot of beer.
- If you get a double word score - all other players must drink one shot of beer.
- If you get a triple letter score - nominate one opponent to drink one shot of spirit.
- If you get a triple word score - all other players must drink one shot of spirit.
10. Snakes and Ladders (and Drinking)
Probably the first board game you ever leant, snakes and ladders becomes a lot less child-friendly when you introduce alcohol.
The concept is simple... if you land on a snake you get fined, if you land on a ladder you give out fines. The number of rows your snake/ladder takes you determines how much is drunk.
For example, if you land on a snake that takes you down three rows, drink three fingers - if you land on a ladder that takes you up five rows, you can nominate five fingers to anyone else in the game.